Monday, March 26, 2012

Producing with Nostalgia for 4 Generations!



I poured my self a cup of Turkish tea & served a slice of Raspberry Tart to go with it…
Trying to remember my connection to the author of this weeks post  my friend MIREY KARASO…
I probably noticed her 1970’s to 80’s in Buyukada… My childhood summer heaven…
Because she and her sister were the token red heads of our Island…it was impossible to miss them.
Then in the late 80’s I noticed her work as friends and family used her products, high design- wedding candy’s from La Bonbonniere (her new company).
Then we ran into each other in Dallas Texas at a Special Events Convention in early 2000’s…
And we chatted about being creative & producing events…in two different continents.
In 2010 Mirey sent her daughter Lara to NYC & CT, to become my intern & right hand for a while…
And in 2011 she has produced an amazing country wedding for my beloved cousin Elvan in Kemer Country, Istanbul…
So if you do not believe in coincidences… you will see that the parallels of our lives… keep crossing time to time...

Here is a story & recipe from Mirey of our shared cultures, rituals, passions, careers,  & meals:

Let’s read together….

“Moshiko… ( A Sepharadic way of saying my Little Moshe)
I am always excited about traditions…I believe they create miracles. Celebrations are special occasions where traditions are repeated since ages...
Fortunately I am an event designer for nearly 30 years in Istanbul. and I help celebrate these traditions...
Once an astrologer told me that I was also an event organizer in one of my past lives, in England... and had a very colorful life.
The truth is,when and if I come back,in my next life, I only want to be just a guest in other events...
This profession which I had just started as a joke, made my life...
I grew up with it, & it grew up with me...we shared so many nice moments with so many lovely people...We celebrated, traveled, loved, ate and certainly prayed while being grateful.

I also had the occasion of integrating different traditions from myriad backgrounds, as Turkey is a very cosmopolite country.
Food also is lovely here... Turkish cuisine mixed with my Sephardic routes, makes for really special hybrid.
Once I was invited to become a contestant to a "food festival" with a personal & special recipe.
The first thing I had in mind was to cook my great- grandmothers Sephardic recipe ...
“El Tapada de Berencena” (The Eggplant Tart).
The jury wanted me to repeat the food tasting three times as they loved this amazing taste.
When I was a little girl, I liked to watch my mom cooking...and I remember the way she hold the dough, how she made this delicious tart in an artistic way with the beautiful smell.
We used to go swimming every weekend in Prince Island (Buyukada) with our boat, at least 15 of us cramped in the wooden boat… led by Captain Maurice.
My mothers Tapada was a must have tradition for those joyful days....
To think that this is a recipe that my great -grandmother use to cook in Thessaloniki with her prostela (onluk), then my mom has cooked it in Istanbul city center later, and today I am cooking it in the country side for my family and friends... is HISTORY in making for me…
No doubt one day my Daughter will cook this for her 4
th generation table…
I hope you also share in my rituals, try this in your kitchen …..and serve it to your loved ones…
A quick warning …If you make this you might faint while its cooking in oven...the smell ... is that GREAT”

Here is the recipe...
Eat, enjoy,love and be grateful....


{Tapada de Berencena}  {The Eggplant Tart}.
1 cup canola oil
half a glass of water
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons grated Kaser (Turkish Cheese similar to Parmesan)
As much flour as it takes…

Filling:
4 pieces of roasted eggplant
200 grams of grated Kaser

Boil the oil, water, salt, (5 minutes)
Take it of the stove and add Kaser and then flour.
Knead it into a  soft dough.
Divided into two and put in the fridge to rest.

Sprinkle a little grated Kaser bottom of tart pan.
Open up ½ of the dough mixture really thinly…
Make sure you roll the edges of the dough to cover sides of the pan.
Sprinkle the dough with more Kaser ..  This makes the dough really crunchy once cooked.
Once the bottom of the shell is ready pour the the eggplant and the  Kaser mixture in.
Again, put the remaining dough over the top as the cover ... The upper dough is now reversed on a plastic cover…and replced back….
The top then will be cut with a sharp knife,  to create diamond-design.

A little water is poured into your palms and sprinkled over the dough... more Kaser is sprinkled over top.
And then is baked in the oven.
Cook until brown on topat 350 degrees for approximately one hour.
Bon Appetite”

Check Mirey out at:

No comments: