Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sweet but not innocent...


























What can I say?... I did use the blog as an excuse to get this cake in my tummy... {Heee Heee!}
I know it is very sneaky of moi!


Lori Andrews wrote:


{I was asked (via text) to “talk ab something snappy, happy…make people smile.  But the idea is about soul, humor and community, ur love of baking, just anything that matches.”  I smiled at the “anything that matches” part; that was the quintessential clue that the blog entry request was partly an excuse to satisfy Moshe’s craving for Mexican Chocolate cake.

This cake is an oxymoron for the senses.  It sits there on the plate looking so sweet and innocent, but in just one bite you know you’ve been deceived.  It’s spicy hot; it’s sweet;  it’s savory; it’s cool.  Most of all, it’s fun!  I love to bake and I love to surprise people, so this particular dessert is one of my favorites.   The recipe is my own creation--traditional sour cream chocolate cake meets Pancho Villa. 


“Pancho Villa” is part of this cake because I love Mexico!  Really love it.  Actually, I love any Spanish-speaking, spicy-food eating, folk-art-painting. loud-string-instrument wailing,  bright-color-splashing, and sun-shining country.   I can’t explain it, but I feel it at my core.  The clean, orderly streets of Zurich? No
gracias.  It’s the senoras selling nopal (cactus) out of burlap sacks on their backs…in front of the cathedral… on the dirt street with no curbs… and the stray dog asleep at the feet of the Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe statue.  This is what elates my soul.}


{Pancho Villa Cake}

Cake:
1 Devils’ Food or Chocolate Fudge boxed cake mix (Eeekkk, it’s true!)
1 package (3.9 ounces) chocolate instant pudding mix
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup warm water
3 TBSP. chipotle powder
1 tsp. cayenne powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cloves
Note:  Depending on your tolerance for “heat,” add more or less spices.

Frosting:
2 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar
2 TBSP cinnamon
milk, to desired consistency.  (Whole milk works best, but any milk is fine.)

Cake: 
Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix using an electric mixer on low speed for a minute or two.  Increase to medium speed and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.  Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl from time to time as you mix.

Place batter into well-greased and floured bundt pan.  Bake at 350 F. for 40-50 minutes, or until top of cake is just firm to the touch.  (Or until inserted skewer comes out dry.)  Let cool for 30 minutes.  Remove cake from pan.  Let cool thoroughly.

Frosting:
Place powdered sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl, whisk together.  Start out adding ¼ cup milk, then SLOWLY add milk 1 TBSP at a time, mixing until the desired consistency is achieved.  If you add too much milk, add additional powdered sugar.
Drizzle evenly over top of cooled cake. 

People!!! if you wish to celebrate with one of Lori's delicious cakes contact her at:
3andrews@optonline.net


Enjoy! MO

No comments: